JOHN OLANREWAJU ONI Ph.D., CMP., was born on the 15th March 1964, to a humble family of Mr. (now late) and Mrs. Mohammed Olanrewaju Oni from Ijaiye area of Abeokuta, Abeokuta South Local Government, Ogun State Nigeria.
He attended Local Government Primary School, Idi-Oro, Mushin Lagos, Saka Tinubu Memorial High School, Orile-Agege, Lagos, Yaba College of Technology, Yaba Lagos, University of Education, Winneba Ghana, Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu, University of Calabar, Calabar, Lagos State University, Lagos and Coventry University (UK) where he obtained his First School Leaving Certificate (FSLC), Ordinary Level West African School Certificate (0/Level), Ordinary and Higher National Diploma (OND/HND) in Food Technology, Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Information Technology, Postgraduate Diploma/ Master of Science (PGD/M.Sc.) in Food Science & Technology, Master in Business Administration (MBA), Master in Public Administration (MPA) and Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Engineering and Management, and Wisconsin International University, Wisconsin, United State of America where he obtained M.Phil and Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) in Technology Management.
Currently he is undergoing another Ph.D Programme in Business Administration with specialization in Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management at the Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye, Ogun State.
He is a professional Member of Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST), The Institute of Food Technology (IFT) USA, Association of Industrial Microbiologists of Nigeria (AIMN), Nigeria Institute of Management (NIM) and a Chartered Management Practitioner (CMP).
He has served as a member of some ad-hoc, policy and decision making committees, among which are:
- Administrative Advisory committee to the Executive Governor of Ogun State on the Development of Technology Incubation Programme, 2006 – 2009.
- Presidential Initiative Committee on Cassava products. 2009 – 2013
- Consultant to the University of Ilorin on the establishment of the Institution’s Entrepreneurship development Centre, tagged Technical & Entrepreneurship Centre (TEC) headed by Prof. Morakinyo between 2009 – 2010.
- State co-ordinator on Presidential Standing Committee on invention and Innovation. (PSCII) Federal Ministry of Science and Technology 2013 – 2017.
- Technical Adviser to Ogun State Government on MDG/OGSG capacity building for unemployed graduates between 2009 – 2010.
- Member Ogun State Council on Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises. 2010 – 2019
- Member Pan-African Consultative Forum – Tanzania/Nigeria
- Member Senior Staff Committee NTBI 2019 – date.
He had a dint of work with the Foremost Industrial Research Institute in Nigeria Federal Institute of Industrial Research. Oshodi (FIIRO) for about 15 years where he rose as a Food Technologist to a Research Officer, then to Special Assistant to the Director General/CEO and a Chief Procurement Officer of the Presidency Abuja in Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi (FIIRO) till his redeployment to Ogun State in 2007 as the Pioneer Centre Manager Technology Incubation centre (TIC) Abeokuta where he rose to the Position of Director/ Centre manager before his transfer to NBTI Headquarters Abuja 2019.
During his period of staying in Ogun State, he ensured the establishment of the TIC in all the 3 Senatorial Zone of the State, trained more than 50 entrepreneurs that created almost 500 jobs for the Youths and Women.
He served the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) on Contract between July 1990- July 1992 and January 1993- March 1993 as the Project Technical Assistant on Non-wheat Bread Project Development, in Nigeria and Rome.
He also served the World Bank through the National Agricultural Research Project (NARP) on Post Harvest Agro Processing between 1995 – 1998.
- Federal Government of Nigeria between 1989 – 1991
- World Bank (NARP) between 1996 — 1998
Some of His Major Research Works are:
- Development and Extension of the Non-wheat Bread Project, Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations, Rome.
- High dilution of Bread development from non wheat and local wheat flours
- Fish Smoking and Dehydration techniques (World Bank Project)
- Mechanized Dadawa production technology from African locust beans (World Bank Project).
- Team leader of the Demonstration of Industrial production of 10% cassava/wheat bread in the six (6) Geo-Political Zone in 2005-2006 (Federal Government of Nigeria project).
- Improving the local methods of Dawadawa production and the economic evaluation, using locally made equipment.
- The impact of Technology Incubation Programme to the economic development and growth in Nigeria (A case study of six TICs in the six geo-political zones in Nigeria).
He has delivered papers at workshops, conferences and seminars and has more than fifteen (15) publications in Journals both local and international.
Dr. John O. Oni is currently the Director of Post Incubation and Extension Services at the National Board for Technology Incubation (NBTI), Federal Ministry of Science and Technology, Abuja.
Dr. Oni has coached and mentored over 50 entrepreneurs and successful businesses and still counting.
His hobbies include Reading, Listening to Music, Playing table tennis, traveling and meeting people of Value.
Dr. John O. Oni is married and blessed with children