Abubakar Sadiq Nuhu was born to the family of Late Alhaji Nuhu Balarabe Koko and Hajiya Fatima Nuhu-Koko on Monday, 6th January, 1969. He hails from Koko town of Koko/Besse Local Government Area in Kebbi State.
Abubakar started his educational pursuit at the age of Six (6), where he attended Model Primary School, Wurno Road (Now Cement Company of Northern Nigeria, CCNN Primary School) Sokoto from 1975 to 1981; He proceeded to Federal Government College, Sokoto from 1981 to 1986 for his secondary education.
From 1987 to 1990, he obtained: A National Certificate in Education (NCE) in Accounting; from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria (Shehu Shagari College of Education, campus); between 1992 to 1995 he obtained a Bachelor of Science Degree, B.Sc. (Hons’) in Management Studies from Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto (UDUS) in 2001, he bagged a Master’s degree in Business Administration from UDUS; and in 2004 he obtained a Masters’ degree in International Trade from Aberdeen Business School, Robert Gordon University (RGU), Aberdeen United Kingdom;
Abubakar started his career as a teacher in 1991 where he taught at Sultan Attahiru Day Secondary School in Sokoto for seven (7) months before going back to school to further his education.
He transferred his services to the Kebbi State Ministry of Commerce, Industry, Cooperative and Tourism in 1997 where he rose through the ranks to become an Assistant Director.
While working with the Kebbi State Ministry of Commerce he served in various capacities such as:
- Secretary, Kebbi State Export Promotion Committee
- Commercial Manager, Kebbi State Quarry Industry, Golongo, Yauri, Kebbi State;
- Secretary, Kebbi State Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture;
Other ad-hoc assignments were:
- Secretary, Kebbi State Technical Committee for State Government support to Technology Incubation Centre, Birnin-Kebbi;
- Member, Kebbi State SURE-Trust Committee on Industrialisation and Economic Empowerment;
- Member, Kebbi State NEPAD Business Group;
- Secretary, Kebbi State Shippers’ Committee; and
Secretary, Technology Incubation Centre, Birnin-Kebbi Advisory Council.
In 2005, Abubakar joined the services of the National Board for Technology Incubation (NBTI):
Whilst in NBTI he served in various capacities at different times as:
Centre Manager in Technology Incubation Centre (TIC) Birnin-Kebbi, in Birnin-Kebbi, Kebbi State from;
Zonal Director, NBTI North Central Zonal Office, Minna; and
Director, Human Resource Management, NBTI Headquarters, 2018 to date
Other ad-hoc assignments at NBTI included:
- Member, Kebbi State Technical Advisory Committee on the Implementation of National Policy on Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises;
- Member, NBTI-State Governments MOU drafting committee.
- Head of the Secretariat; Governing Board of the National Board for Technology Incubation, Federal Ministry of Science and Technology.
- Secretary, Senior Staff Committee (SSC) National Board for Technology Incubation, Federal Ministry of Science and Technology;
- Member, Establishment Committee of the National Board for Technology Incubation, Federal Ministry of Science and Technology;
- Member, Tenders’ Board of the National Board for Technology Incubation, Federal Ministry of Science and Technology.
- Chairman, Junior Staff Committee (JSC) National Board for Technology Incubation, Federal Ministry of Science and Technology.
- Chairman, Committee on improvement of stores operations in NBTI
He is a Fellow Chartered Institute of Administration (FCIA)
He is a Fellow Institute of Industrialists and Corporate Administrators of Nigeria (FIICA);
He is an Associate Member, Nigeria Institute of Management (Chartered);
He attended several local and international trainings within and outside Nigeria such as:
International Training on Public Sector Administration and Management organised by the Singapore Cooperation Programme Awards; conducted by Nanyang Technological University, Singapore; sponsored by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Singapore;
Course organised by the KISTEP-ISTIC Science, Technology and Innovation Training Program for High-Level Policy Makers, held in Sunway-Putra Hotel Kuala-Lumpur, Malaysia: Organised by International Science, Technology and Innovation Centre for South-South Cooperation Under the Auspices of UNESCO (ISTIC) and the Korea Institute of Science & Technology Evaluation and Planning (KISTEP);
Management Development Course on Professional Administration Techniques: Organised by The Chartered Institute of Administration of Nigeria, Golden Tulip Hotel, Amuwo Odofin, Lagos State.
International training on Technology Transfer and commercialisation in OIC Member States: the role of Tech-Mart; December, in Tehran, I.R of Iran organised by Inter-Islamic Network on Science and Technology Parks (INSTP), the OIC Standing Committee on Scientific and Technological Cooperation (COMSTECH) Co-sponsored by Islamic Development Bank (IDB)
International Training Programme on Promoting Innovation & Entrepreneurship through Incubation; Sponsored by the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India under Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation (ITEC) & Special Commonwealth Assistance for African Programme (SCAAP) held at EDI, Ahmedabad, India;
Training Programme for Business Incubator Management for African Countries, Organised by Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Malaysia and Standards Industrial Research Institute Malaysia at Grand Dossett Hotel, Subang Jaya Kuala Lumpur Malaysia;
Northern States SME Summit 2010: Organised by Nigeria Association of Small and Medium Enterprises (NASME) in conjunction with New Nigeria Development Company Ltd (NNDC) and Small and Medium Enterprises Development Agency of Nigeria (SMEDAN), with the Theme; “Building Entrepreneurship for Value Addition and Wealth Creation”; held in Hamdala Hotel Kaduna;
Technology Management Forum for Directors of Science and Technology for Development in Nigeria; organised by National Centre for Technology Development South-South Office; Held in the Conference Hall of Mirage Hotel in Calabar;
Training on Science and Technology Project Management; Organised by National Centre for Technology Management (NACETEM), Abuja Office;
International Capacity Building Programme for Business Incubation Managers; organised by Asia Pacific Incubation Network (Supported by Info-Dev, World Bank & DST, Government of India);
International Course on “Eliminating Rural Poverty: The Israel Development Experience organised by the Negev Institute for Strategies of Peace and Development, Israel;
3 Day Zonal Stakeholders’ Sensitisation Workshop on Technology Incubation Programme in Nigeria; organised by the National Board for Technology Incubation (NBTI) in collaboration with National Board for Technical Education (NBTE)
Northern Nigeria Economic and Investment Summit (NEIS 2008) organised by Conference of the Northern States’ Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (CONSCCIMA);
Management Express Breakfast Meeting on Brand Management: Setting yourself Apart organised by the British Council in Nigeria;
Management Express Breakfast Meeting on The New Rules of Strategic Marketing, organised by the British Council in Nigeria held; National Sensitisation workshop on Entrepreneurship Development in Nigerian Universities; organised by the National Universities’ Commission in Collaboration with National Board for Technology Incubation;
Training programme on Managing Technology Incubation: Concepts, Mechanisms and Practice Oganised by Technopol Consulting and National Board for Technology Incubation (FMST); and
Workshop on Reforms of the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology (FMST) and its parastatals organised by Global Strategic Research Limited (GSRL) on 13th November 2006;
Abubakar is a Mentor for Youth Enterprise with Innovation in Nigeria (YouWin 3);
He Presented papers on:
- Conceptualisation and Methodology of Teaching Entrepreneurship in the Polytechnic: Organised for Lecturers of the Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic, Birnin-Kebbi; By Centre for Entrepreneurship Development of the Polytechnic; on 5th of March 2013;
- Starting and Sustaining SME at the First Kebbi Youth Summit: Held in Birnin-Kebbi, Kebbi State;
Abubakar has unpublished publications to his credit such as:
- Abubakar Sadiq Nuhu: Free Trade and the Nigerian Economy; with emphasis on the non-oil sector. M.sc Dissertation (Unpublished), RGU, UK, September, 2004;
- Abubakar Sadiq Nuhu: University Education and Human Capital Development in Nigeria: A case study of Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto MBA Dissertation (Unpublished) UDUS, Sokoto May, 2000; and
- Abubakar Sadiq Nuhu: Job Satisfaction and Job Performance in a Manufacturing Industry: A case study of Cement Company of Northern Nigeria Plc. Sokoto, B.sc. Research Project (Unpublished) UDUS, Sokoto, June, 1995.
- Abubakar likes achieving targets; is a person that believes in teamwork; he loves reading; he likes travelling; loves gardening; and likes athletics.
He has computer skills on Desktop Publishing, Computer skills on Electronic Spreadsheet; High-speed typing skill.